Saturday, November 23, 2013

When it rains, it pours.

Those of you here in Rome know that it has been raining all week.  That got me thinking about all the words and expressions we have related to rain.

Different types of rain
Rain comes in many forms.  There is light rain and heavy rain, but do you know these other words for the different types of rain?

These words all describe rain, and are in order from light to heavy.  So, a sprinkle is a very light rain, whereas a downpour is an extremely heavy rain (one that usually doesn't last very long).

- Sprinkle
- Drizzle
- Light shower
- Heavy shower
- Downpour

There are many famous paintings which show rain.   Can you describe the rain in these paintings using the vocabulary words above?


Caillebotte
Monet



Chagall
Van Gogh

Renoir

Hiroshige

Expressions with rain
Here are some common expressions with rain:
- Come rain or shine: no matter if there is rain or sunshine, in any type of weather.
         Ex: We will go to the park come rain or shine. (This means that we will go to the park regardless of
                  whether it rains or not.)
- When it rains, it pours: when one thing goes wrong, usually many things go wrong
        Ex. What a bad day!  First, I lost my keys.  Then, I missed the bus.  At work, my computer broke
                  down!  When it rains it pours!
- It's raining cats and dogs: it is raining very hard
       Ex. Wow! Look outside! It's raining cats and dogs!  I think I will stay home.
- Don't rain on my parade: Don't destroy or ruin this pleasurable moment for me.  (This expression probably orginated from a 1964 song, "Don't Rain on my Parade.")
      Sally: I got a new job in New York!
      Mary: That's great...but you know the traffic is very bad and New York is very expensive.
      Sally: Please don't rain on my parade!


Do you know any other famous paintings which show rain?  Can you think of any other expressions with rain? 



No comments:

Post a Comment